501 Prompts is an exercise in creative writing. It works like this: I’ll take a prompt and brainstorm. Then I sit down and write for 20 minutes. Then I’m only allowed to edit the material I already have.
Usually, I land in flash fiction territory with stories up to 1000 words. It’s open to all genres, topics, and experiments with storytelling.
Here is a list of all prompts I have worked on so far:
- Secrets of the Past
- Revolution of the Chained
- Go With the Flow
- The Inevitability Bias
- The Day Nuance Died
- Fables & More
- Dead men don’t speak
- The moon cannot be stolen. (Zen Koan)
- Think twice before you act ( The Frogs and the Well by Aesop)
- A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth. (The Boy who Cries Wolf by Aesop)
- A well-dressed woman, a forgotten manuscript, a lie told in the dark
- Someone wakes up in the middle of the night. They hear a sound coming from downstairs. A cell phone rings in the kitchen but it’s not theirs.
- His heart was strong, never wavering as he looked out over the new world. What new changes were in store for America under the rule of someone so unique? President Willie Nelson
- 3 word prompt: a mysterious man without hands a baby a cherry tree
- 3 word prompt x2: loyalty pasta necklace anger tree fruit
- 3 word prompt: luck onion apartment
- 3 word prompt: wisdom cow glasses
- 3 word prompt: Holiday watch moth
- Past Mistakes catch up with someone.
- At a remote filming location, the celebrated movie director insists on increasingly real special effects.
- Brothers who communicate only with one another in a language only they understand (cryptophasia) behave in increasingly erratic ways.
- She gets texts from a dead loved one.
- They discover that the Earth is caught n a long time loop. It’s about to go back to prehistoric times and repeat again.
- They were prepared for an alien invasion and for a pandemic, but not at the same time.
- Most intelligent species in the galaxy aren’t equipped for war, and humans conquer planets with ease. One commander turns traitor and helps an alien race resist.
- Nobody ventures here without a mask.
- The waters of this river will make anybody drunk.
- She doesn’t know why he can read the runes.
- A fae, a giant and a gnome walk into a tavern.
- The horses burst into flames.
- The barbarian girl from the north arrives at the school for priests
Stay tuned for a new prompt every week.